Originally Posted in 2009
Purchasing has received reports from University departments indicating that suppliers using dubious business tactics are once again targeting the University.
Departments may receive calls about:
- Renewal of orders that have never been placed by the department
- Invoices for goods never shipped
- Unbelievable discounts or special “deals”
In the most recent incidents, departments have been contacted by a company called Microtech Solutions to offer toner cartridges.
To protect your department:
- Never give your Pcard number over the phone or in email unless you’ve initiated the call/email.
- Do not give any information about your office equipment to unfamiliar suppliers.
- If someone calls you about the "renewal of a previous order", ask them for the original purchase order number. If they produce a purchase order number, investigate the validity of the number.
- Do not authorize any shipment of supplies from a caller soliciting business over the phone.
Contact Purchasing for assistance, if you
- Receive an invoice in the mail for an order you did not place.
- If you receive a shipment of supplies which were never ordered