Export Controls Classification Requirement
Export Controls Classification Review
In accordance with United States Export Control laws, two departments (the University’s Export Control team and the PantherExpress team) need to review the Export Controls Classification on the following types of goods and services purchases:
- Goods purchases greater than $5000 per item for the School of Engineering, the School of Information Sciences, and the Natural Sciences Division of the Dietrich School. This review will satisfy the University’s responsibility to 1) ensure that a Technology Control Plan is developed for any deemed export issues, and 2) evaluate any purchases for current or eventual export.
- Services purchases – only when an item is being sent by the University to a supplier outside the U.S.
In order to fully comply with U.S. export regulations, certain University departments must obtain an Export Controls Classification from the supplier (for any applicable good) and include it, along with other supporting documentation, with the requisition submission. The supplier may provide the Export Controls Classification information 1) on a quote, 2) on a separate document, 3) in the body of an email message or 4) on the University’s Product Classification Certification form.
For services, Export Controls review is needed only in the instance where an item is being sent by the University to a supplier outside of the U.S. In this case, the University will need to determine, prior to transferring the item to a foreign party/destination, if an export license is required or not (i.e. will need to determine the item’s classification and the destination country). Please contact the E.C. team (EChelp@pitt.edu) prior to exporting any item out of the U.S.
Processing Time for Requisitions
The University’s Export Control and PantherExpress teams have worked together to develop an efficient review process that should not (in most cases) add to the standard requisition processing time.
Summary of Online Resources
- Office of Research: Export Controls Manual and Guidelines
- Office of Research: Export Controls Forms
- PantherExpress: Exports and International Sanctions
Please contact PantherExpress Customer Service at 412-624-3578 or through an online inquiry with any questions.