UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH PROCEDURE 01-01-03
SECTION: University Policy
SUBJECT: Establishing University Forms
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 22, 1988
To provide instructions for establishing new, or revising existing University forms.
This procedure is applicable only to forms that are associated with a University procedure,
and are numbered "FORM XXXX."
It does not include those departmental (PITT Number Only) forms unrelated to University
III. ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
Directors and Department Chairmen are responsible for:
- Identifying the need for a new or revised form
- Providing the rationale for the request
- Submitting the suggested design to the appropriate vice president, dean, or campus
president for review
Vice Presidents, Campus Presidents, and Deans are responsible for:
- Reviewing proposals for new or revised forms
- Recommending approval or rejection of the proposal
The Data Administrator is responsible for:
- Reviewing the form for consistency with University data
- Approving, rejecting, or modifying the form
- Assigning a FORM number to all forms associated with a University procedure
The Manager, Forms Control is responsible for:
- Forms design in cooperation with the user (and with Computing and Information
Systems (CIS), for computer related University forms)
- Inventory control
Initiator 1. Develop a rough sketch of the proposed new form(s) or
mark a copy of an existing form with the recommended
changes. Forward to the Data Administrator for review.
Data Administrator 2. Review the sketch with the initiator, for consistency with
University data elements, and make any necessary
3. Obtain and assign a FORM number and submit the
draft to the Manager, Forms Control, for preparation of
Manager, Forms Control 4. Review the draft for consistency with University form
standards, and initiate internal procedures for development
of the proof.
5. Forward the form approval proof to the Data
Administrator for final review and approval.
Data Administrator 6. Indicate approval by signing FORM 0002 PITT 1214,
Form Approval. Attach a copy and return with proof to
the Manager, Forms Control.
7. Forward a copy of the proof together with the original
FORM 0002 PITT 1214 to the Director, Management
Information and Policy Analysis for development of
procedure and form instruction guide.
Manager, Forms Control 8. Upon receipt of signed FORM 0002 PITT 1214, Form
Approval, initiate internal procedures for production of the
9. Notify Director, Management Information and Policy
Analysis when new/revised form is received by the
Information and Policy
Analysis 10. Upon notification that new/revised form is available in the
stockroom, distribute the associated procedure, for
insertion in the Procedure Manual, in accordance with the
established distribution lists.
11. Retain and file the signed FORM 0002 PITT 1214.
Exhibit A - FORM 0002 PITT 1214, Form Approval
FORM 0002 PITT 1214 Form Instruction Guide
Policy 01-01-03, Establishing University Forms