UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH FORM INSTRUCTION GUIDE
FORM NUMBER: FORM 0200
FORM TITLE: Journal Entry Form
EFFECTIVE DATE: April 1, 2005
PAGE (S): 1
1. Name – Departmental name, followed by optional description.
2. Category – Check one box only.
Cash Receipts - Cash Reports
NSCT - Non-Salary Cost Transfers for non-sponsored project accounts
NSCTR - Any Non-Salary Cost Transfers involving a sponsored project
account (i.e., Entity 05 OR RDF/TRM accounts)
IDC - Interdepartmental Charge
JE - Journal Entry (for Budget and Controller Area use only)
Other - For Budget and Controller Area use only
3. Description/Explanation – Detailed description of transaction(s) up to 240 characters.
The first 24 characters will default to the transaction description and appear in the
monthly reports unless overridden by a line-item description in Section 27 below. This
is an optional field if you
are entering a description in No. 27.
4. Date – Month and Year (mm/yy) the transaction is to be posted. If the transaction is a
cash receipt, the date must be the date (mm/dd/yy) the cash is deposited in the bank
or the date (mm/dd/yy) credit cards are
5. Department Address – Room/Building or Building/Campus.
6. Reference – Additional reference as follows: THIS REFERENCE IS NOT RELATED TO
THE REFERENCE SEGMENT OF THE ACCOUNT NUMBER!
– For NSCT and NSCTR, include batch name of original entry, if applicable
– For IDC’s, include 2-digit IDC authorization code and department
7. Cash – Total dollar amount of coin/currency (to be completed only if “Cash Receipts” in
Section 2 is checked). Direct depositors – attach deposit ticket, settlement report, or
8. Check – Total dollar amount of checks or credit card transactions (to be completed only
if “Cash Receipts” in Section 2 is checked). NOTE: Not applicable to direct depositors.
9. Total – Grand total of deposit (Cash + Checks). NOTE: Not applicable to direct
*10. Bank Recon No. – Enter Recon number of deposit slip or lock box number.
*11. Validation By – to be completed by the Student Payment Center when the cash or
check(s) is delivered.
13. Cash Received From/By – to be completed by the Student Payment Center when
the cash or check(s) is delivered.
14. Prepared By/Phone – Print or type the name of the preparer of the document and
his/her campus telephone number.
15. Prepared By – Signature of the preparer of the document.
16. Authorized By/Phone – Print or type the name of the approved account administrator
and his/her campus telephone number (name cannot be the same
as the preparer).
17. Authorized By – Signature of approved account administrator (name cannot be the
same as the preparer).
* Cashier’s Office and Self Depositor’s Use Only
NOTE: For multiple page submissions, the above information must be the same on
Account Number/Debits/Credits/Description 18-27 (Draw lines through unused segments or
18. 2-digit entity segment must be completed.
19. 5-digit department segment must be completed.
20. 4-digit subcode segment must be completed.
21. 5-digit purpose segment – account number of restricted, student loan, endowment, plant,
agency, or balance sheet account.
22. 6-digit project segment – Sponsored Research (Entity 05 Only).
23. 5-digit (No alpha) reference segment – to be used at the department’s discretion. Automatically
defaults to 00000 if not used.
24. Future – Do Not Use At This Time.
25. Debits – Transaction(s) dollar amount offset by one or more credit amounts.
26. Credits – Transaction(s) dollar amount offset by one or more debit amounts.
27. Description – The description shown here will appear as the transaction description on the
monthly level reports. (The default is the description shown above in Section 3.) This field is
optional only if the description
in No. 3 is the correct description for every line item.
THIS FORM MUST BE TYPEWRITTEN OR PRINTED CLEARLY. ILLEGIBLE FORMS WILL BE