UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH POLICY 01-03-08
SECTION: University Governance
SUBJECT: School and Regional Campus Governance
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 2, 1987
This policy establishes the organization and administration of the schools and regional
campuses within the University.
The University is organized by schools/campuses and faculties, each administered by a
The basic organizational unit of the school/campus is the department/division, headed by
a chairman. Within their department/division, chairmen are responsible for:
- Preparing the budget
- Conducting the initial processing of faculty grievances
- Assuring faculty compliance with University policies
- Hiring, supervising, and terminating clerical and administrative staff
Chairmen may consult with other faculty in their department/division, and when possible,
develop a faculty consensus when carrying out their responsibilities in:
- Allocating space, including faculty offices
- Setting guidelines for establishment of teaching loads
- Establishing class sizes
- Assigning and scheduling of courses
- Assigning overload and summer teaching
- Hiring, supervising, and terminating part-time non-tenure stream faculty
- Setting priorities for non-personnel expenditures
Chairmen preside over faculty deliberations leading to the development of a faculty
position on matters of academic programs, curriculum, requirements for majors, course
content, graduate and professional admissions, and departmental/divisional planning and
- The chairmen present faculty recommendations to the dean/campus president.
Department/division chairmen regularly evaluate faculty and make recommendations to the
dean/campus president on faculty salary increments.
- Within guidelines and subject to prior budgetary constraints determined by the senior
administration and the dean/campus president.
Chairmen also make recommendations, within University guidelines and policies, on
requests by individual faculty members for sabbatical leaves and leaves of absence.