UNIVERISTY OF PITTSBURGH POLICY 02-01-03
CATEGORY: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
SECTION: Academic Programs
SUBJECT: Course Inventory
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 10, 1988
This policy establishes a system for maintaining an inventory of all courses offered at the
University of Pittsburgh.
The program abbreviation, course number, course credits/credit range, course type,
abbreviated course title and course abstract (if provided) must be consistent across
campuses for all courses in the course inventory.
When a program within a department initiates a new course or substantial change to an
existing course, following department and school or campus procedures, the department
chairman must request the approval of the dean or campus president. See Procedure
02-01-03, Course Inventory.
The Office of the Provost will review all approved requests.
The Registrar is responsible for reviewing all requests for completeness, and preparing
the information for implementation.
Other implications related to a specific course in the inventory for the entire University are:
- Only one version of a course exists for a particular term or range of terms
- Credit hours and course title for a specific course governs all sections
- The grading policy for a specific course governs all sections
- Course Status (i.e., active or inactive) and Approval Type (i.e., Permanent, Pending
Approval, Temporary, Special, and Noncredit) for a specific course applies to all
- Corequisite and Prerequisite data for a specific course applies to all sections
- Department data for a specific course applies to all sections
- Faculty Load data for a specific course applies to all sections
The implications above are based on the course key: XXXXXX NNNN YYT
XXXXXX - Program Abbreviation
NNNN - Course Number (See Policy 02-01-02, Course Structure.)
YYT - Term
Course numbers which have been deleted from the Course Inventory are not reissued for
a period of at least 10 years.
Procedure 02-01-03, Course Inventory
Policy 02-01-02, Course Structure