UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH POLICY 02-02-14
CATEGORY: ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
SECTION: Faculty Appointment and Tenure
SUBJECT: Faculty Librarian Status
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 5, 1988
This policy establishes the status of Faculty Librarians.
The University Library System is considered an academic unit. In addition to the directors
and assistant directors, there are five ranks of faculty librarians (Librarians I - V) with
Appointment and Promotion
- Librarians are generally appointed for a one-year period.
- At the end of the initial one-year appointment, a decision is made either to
re-appoint for a two-year period or to terminate the appointment three months
from the date of a written notice of non-renewal.
- At the end of a two-year appointment of a Librarian I, a librarian is either given
expectation of continuing employment, along with promotion to rank of Librarian II,
or is given six-months written notice of termination.
- Librarians may be considered for promotion to higher rank.
- A faculty librarian has the right to appeal a decision regarding non-renewal or non-
promotion. The appeals process is the same as that for all faculty. See Policy
02-02-10, Faculty Reviews and Appeals.
All faculty librarians are voting members of the University Senate and elect representatives
to serve as voting members of the Senate Council and Faculty Assembly.
Faculty librarians have the same fringe benefits as faculty members.
Sabbatical Leaves may be granted for professional development to librarians who have
contracts signifying expectation of continuing employment, who have served an additional
period of time, and who have definite projects planned which will increase their
- The terms of the leave are the same as for tenured faculty. See Policy 02-05-01,
Policy 02-02-10, Faculty Reviews and Appeals
Policy 02-05-01, Sabbatical Leave