UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH POLICY 04-05-02
SECTION: Food, Alcohol, Tobacco
SUBJECT: Use of Alcohol
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 1, 2001
This policy establishes guidelines for the use and dispensing of alcohol at all University
Employees, students, and agents of the University must comply with the laws of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on the possession and consumption of alcohol.
Pennsylvania Law prohibits:
- Furnishing or providing alcohol to anyone under the age of 21, or to anyone visibly
- Anyone under the age of 21 from possessing or consuming alcoholic beverages
under any circumstances
- Anyone under the age of 21 from being on licensed premises where alcohol is
served, unless under proper supervision
- Anyone under the age of 18 dispensing alcoholic beverages
- The sale of alcoholic beverages without a license. "Sale" includes charging admission
to any activity where alcoholic beverages are served, even if the beverage is "free" to
those people who have gained admission.
At each University function, the "Host" will be considered to be the most senior officer,
present from the school, department, or other segment of the University sponsoring a
The Host of a function is responsible for ensuring that Pennsylvania law relating to
alcoholic beverages be strictly observed.
The Host of a function is responsible for compliance with this policy.