UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH POLICY 10-03-01
CATEGORY: SUPPORT SERVICES
SECTION: Library and Instructional Resources
SUBJECT: NOTIS: University Libraries Integrated On-line Circulation System
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 10, 1990
This policy establishes the circulation functions of NOTIS, the integrated on-line system
for the management of library materials and loan record keeping. It is applicable to all
University Library System (ULS) libraries and Non-ULS Libraries that have
implemented the NOTIS integrated on-line circulation system, which include:
ULS Libraries Graduate School of Business, Chemistry and Computer Science,
East Asian, Economics, Engineering, Fine Arts, Graduate School of Public and
International Affairs, Hillman, Langley, Mathematics, Music, Physics, and School of
Library and Information Science libraries.
Non-ULS Libraries Falk, Law, Nursing, WPIC, and the regional campus library at
Effective with the implementation of the NOTIS circulation system, the following loan
regulations on borrowing, returns, and renewals apply to ULS Libraries only:
- Any individual with a valid University ID Card may borrow an unlimited number of
books for four weeks.
- Any individual with a Special Library Card may borrow up to ten books for fourteen
- Books charged out on the NOTIS system may be renewed by telephone by
providing the borrower's ID number and the book ID (barcode number) for each
item to be renewed. Provided the material is not recalled, renewals are unlimited.
- All books are subject to immediate recall if they are needed for course reserves.
- Books may be recalled for use by another patron after a borrower has had them
for seven days.
- Books may be returned at any library and a return receipt will be provided upon
- Fines will be assessed for overdue and lost materials in accordance with the
University Library System Borrowing and Fee Schedule. See Procedure 10-03-01,
NOTIS: University Libraries Integrated On-line Circulation System.
- The circulation status of many library materials will be displayed in the PITTCAT
Circulation policies vary among Non-ULS Libraries. Statements of circulation policy
for each individual library are available at all libraries. Refer to the circulation policy
posted in each library for the following:
- Maximum number of items allowed for borrowing
- Borrowing period
- In-person renewals
- Telephone renewals
- Recall of materials in circulation
- Returning materials
- Course Reserve Books
- Schedule of fines
- Grace period for overdue materials
- Replacement charges for lost materials
Procedure 10-03-01, NOTIS: University Libraries Integrated On-line Circulation
Policy 10-03-03, Special Library Cards and Access to University Libraries