The University of Pittsburgh is committed to environmental stewardship through sustainable purchasing, conservation, and construction designed to conserve natural resources and preserve the environment. Our purchasing processes seek to balance the following objectives.
- Increase the purchase of products with a reduced or minimal environmental impact as compared to other similar products and services that serve the same purpose.
- Comply with regulations requiring sound financial stewardship by the University.
- Comply with regulations that require the University to identify business opportunities for diversity and disadvantaged suppliers.
What are Supplier Management and Purchasing Services doing?
- Working to provide environmentally-preferable supply sources. We actively research and solicit bids on environmentally preferable goods and services.
- Working with our suppliers to ensure that environmentally-preferable products are easy to locate from our University-wide contracted suppliers through clear product labeling and use of the PantherBuy system. See our list of contracted supplier programs for more information.
- Asking suppliers to provide clear environmental impact information for the entire life cycle of products to the University.
- Educating University departments about sustainable purchasing practices.
- Providing management services to University departments with product inventories to reduce the excess or obsolete inventories that lead to waste or potential environmental and safety issues.
- Providing a paperless purchase-to-pay process via PantherBuy.
- Increase the purchase of products with a reduced or minimal environmental impact as compared to other similar products or services that serve the same purpose.
What can department purchasers do?
In addition to utilizing PantherBuy for paperless purchasing of environmentally-preferable products from our contracted suppliers, and taking advantage of the other contracted supplier programs, please see our General Guidelines for Sustainable Purchasing for steps you can take when purchasing for your department.