Risk Management Budget & Controller Home
Search CFO Search PITT.edu

Frequently Asked Questions - Automobile


1) Personal Vehicles:

If I use my personal vehicle for University business, does the University provide any insurance if my vehicle is damaged?

Use of personal vehicles for University business is strongly discouraged because the University's automobile insurance program does not provide physical damage (collision or comprehensive) coverage for any damage sustained to an employees' personal vehicle. The employee is also responsible for any deductible and premium increase as a result of any accident.


When using a personal vehicle on University business, the owner of the vehicle must carry automobile liability insurance. The owner's automobile liability insurance coverage is primary coverage. The University's automobile liability insurance policy provides excess coverage only.


Please refer to University Policy 05-07-01 for additional information and clarification.


2) What are the University's guidelines on cell phone use while driving?

It is illegal in Pennsylvania to use your cell phone while driving to send or receive texts, emails, or messages of any kind. Further, it is strongly recommended that you not make or receive phone calls for any reason while driving. Let your incoming call go into voice mail or wait to make a call until your trip is finished or you can pull over to stop in a safe place. Operating a motor vehicle requires the driver's constant attention. Anything that distracts the driver dramatically increases the risk of an accident.