Resources - Vehicle Use Requirements
This document is designed to communicate the University's procedure regarding
the use of University owned and rented vehicles on University business.
Short-Term Rental Vehicles
Vehicles leased on a short-term basis from a rental agency (e.g. Budget,
Avis, etc.) should be rented under the name of the University.
- The rental agency
may require the driver's name to be on the form. In this case, write "PITT/
The University maintains full liability insurance coverage for accidents and
losses occurring in the United States of America, territories and possessions of
the United States of America, Puerto Rico and Canada.
- It is not necessary to
purchase any liability insurance offered by the rental agency when renting
The University also maintains physical damage (comprehensive and collision)
insurance coverage for leased vehicles.
- Departments are responsible for the
reimbursement of the physical damage deductible, up to $1000, in the event of an accident.
University insurance is only available on vehicles rented for approved
Personal Vehicles On University Business
Use of a personal vehicle on business is strongly discouraged primarily due to the personal liability the vehicle
owner automatically assumes.
- Vehicle owner's automobile liability insurance
coverage is primary coverage.
- There is no physical damage coverage through the
University on a personal vehicle.
- Employee is responsible for the
deductible portion of the personal collision coverage and for any increased
personal automobile insurance premiums as a result of an accident.
reimbursement will be made by the University for accident-related repairs.
If a personal vehicle must be used:
- Owner of the vehicle must carry automobile liability insurance.
- Driver must have a valid driver's license.
- Owner's automobile liability insurance card (provided by their insurance
agent) must be in the driver's possession.
International Vehicle Use
As guided by University Policy 05-07-01, travelers renting or leasing vehicles for University
business in any country other than the
United States, Canada, the territories and possessions of the
United States, and Puerto Rico are to:
- Purchase insurance offered by
the rental or lease agent in that country.
Financial Responsibility Insurance Identification
Proof of insurance:
Canada NON-RESIDENT Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card
Proof of insurance:
- When driving a University-owned vehicle on University business in Canada, you must hold an original Canada NON-RESIDENT Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card, which indicates proof of
- Check to make certain that both ID Cards, the Financial
Responsibility Insurance Identification Card and the Canada NON-RESIDENT Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card, are in the vehicle's glove compartment prior to leaving for your trip.
- An original Canada NON-RESIDENT Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card can be obtained from Fleet Services.
- For instructions - 'What To Do In Case Of A Motor Vehicle Accident' - suitable for printing and placing in glove compartment.