Reporting a Work-Related Injury, Illness, or Disease
- Immediately call the University’s third-party claims administer (TPA) UPMC Work Partners at 1-800-633-1197 (24 hours/day, 7 days/week) to report the work-related injury or illness AND
- Notify your supervisor.
Emergency assistance may be obtained from campus Security or Public Safety Departments.
- Seek appropriate care if you require medical treatment.
- Obtain non-emergency treatment through the providers listed on the Health Care Provider Panel -
- Initial medical emergency care may be obtained at the nearest emergency medical facility.
- Understand your rights and duties - Form D as set forth by the PA Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Forward medical bills related to your work injury to:
UPMC Work Partners
PO Box 2971
Pittsburgh, PA 15230
You must treat with a Panel provider for the first 90 days from the date of your first visit for medical treatment to be considered for payment. The University will not pay medical services provided by a non-Panel physician during the first 90 days of treatment.
Express Scripts, Inc. administers the University's WC prescription program. Prescriptions will be covered as long as they are deemed reasonable, necessary and directly associated with your work-related injury. You must do the following for your 'first' pharmacy visit related to each reported injury:
Return to Work Releases/Restrictions
- Advise and provide a copy of release/restrictions to your supervisor if you are released by the physician to return to work with or without restrictions.
- Communicate with your supervisor about any changes in medical and work capability status following each medical appointment related to your work injury.
- Adhere to restrictions set forth by the panel provider.
Correspondence from UPMC Work Partners
Once you have reported your injury, you will receive a letter from UPMC Work Partners, asking you to:
- Review, complete if appropriate, sign and return the following documents to Work Partners as soon as possible:
- For your reference, these additional documents will be provided to you: