UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH FORM INSTRUCTION GUIDE
FORM NUMBER: FORM 0019
FORM TITLE: Course Inventory Update
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 10, 1988
PAGE (S): 3
Enter the following fields on all forms:
1. Type of Action.
2. Subject/Discipline/Program from DED Table 18170.
3. Course Number. (See Policy 02-01-02, Course Structure.)
4. Term (YY-T) from DED Table 18156.
5. Academic Center code from DED Table 18160.
Enter the following additional fields for a course ADD:
6. Full Course Title.
7. Abbreviated Course Title. Refer to your standard abbreviation dictionary of acceptable
8. Number of Credit Hours in one of three ways. The number of hours must be either a
whole number or a fraction of one-half (.5). The possible completions are:
a. Fixed number of hours: Fill in the first line with the number of hours.
b. Range of hours (e.g., the number of hours can be 1 to 4 credits): Fill in the second line
with the endpoints of the range placing the lowest number of credits first.
c. Either or number of hours (e.g., the number of hours can be 1 or 4 credits): Fill in the
third line with two possibilities placing the lowest number first.
Leave blank if you wish to select the default value. (See Default Values)
18. AC Course Key.
See Data Guidelines below, No. 19.
The CREDIT HOURS, EQ IN, END TERM, STATUS, TYPE, GRADE OPTIONS, FINALS AND
SEP RSTR fields have default values assigned by the system. These values are indicated in
screened type in the field block. If you wish to use the default value, you may leave the field
9. Credit Hours Equivalent. The number of hours must be either a whole number or a
fraction of one-half (.5).
10. If the CR HRS EQUIV field is completed, set the Equivalent Credit Hours Indicator to Y
(Yes). Leave blank to select the default value.
11. End Term. Leave blank to select the default value.
12. Effective Term from DED Table 18156.
13. Course Status Code from DED Table 18351. Leave blank to select the default value.
14. Course Type from DED Table 12131. At least one type field must be completed. Leave
blank to select the default value.
15. Set at least one grade option to Y (Yes). Leave blank to select the default value.
16. Cross-Listing information: BASE-XLIST, SUB-XLIST, SUB-XLIST-2.
When using the course cross-listing fields, the following guidelines must be adhered to, in
accordance with University policy on cross-listed courses (02-01-02):
a. Cross-listings are limited to three participants, one of which must be the course itself.
b. Cross-listings between subject areas are required to be within the same course level.
c. Cross-listings within a subject area can cross course levels, however combination
between subject areas is then not permitted.
17. Corequisite information:
When indicating a specific graded course that should be taken concurrently with another
graded course, the following guidelines must be adhered to, in accordance with University
Policy on corequisite courses (02-01-02):
a. Each course can be associated with only one corequisite course. Examples include
two lecture courses, a lecture and a graded lab, or a lecture and a grades practicum.
b. Non-graded labs and recitations associated with a lecture are not corequisite courses.
18. Prerequisite information: PREREQUISITE 1 through PREREQUISITE 4.
The Course Inventory provides for several possibilities when indicating prerequisite courses
through the use of the concurrent indicator (CC1 through CC4), and the course connector
CN1 through CN3 fields. Details for using these fields are:
a. Use the CC1 through CC4 field to indicate if the prerequisite can be taken concurrently
(Y) or cannot be taken concurrently (N) with the course.
b. Use the CN1 through CN4 fields to indicate the relationships between prerequisites.
Valid values are AND and OR, from Table 18352. Or is used to indicate an either/or
c. Remember to "read" the CN1 through CN3 connector to determine if the relationships
d. The prerequisites must be completed in order, that is, PREREQUISITE-1 must be
used before PREREQUISITE-2, etc.
e. The last prerequisite completed does not need the CN field.
19. Academic Course Key.
This field indicates the academic program of the course. The key is composed of the
Academic Center (AC) code from Table 18160 and the Program code from DED Table
20. Status Code from DED Table 18351.
21. Subject Area and Course Number previously assigned to the course. Pre-ISIS course
numbers should be preceded by an asterisk (*).
22. Final Exam Type from DED Table 18415. If you wish to use the default value leave blank.
23. Indicate whether a separate roster is desired by entering Y (yes) or N (No).
24. Course Fee, if applicable, from DED Table 18360.
25. Print responsibility center representative/preparers name, and University extension.
26. Department chairman/dean signature required with date.
27. Dean/campus president signature required with date.